I don’t want to say that my life is now complete, but Apple has certainly made my month. I updated my MacBook Pro with the new version of Boot Camp, and now my Windows Vista installation is working perfectly!
Apple, yesterday, updated its beta of Boot Camp to include support for Windows Vista. Boot Camp allows you to install Windows XP and now Windows Vista on an Intel based Mac, including the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.
There were many problems with drivers in Vista when using the old version of Boot Camp. That’s not surprising since the old version of Boot Camp was released well before Vista. Here’s what was wrong with the Vista drivers on my MacBook Pro:
- No sound…at all
- When you closed the lid and Vista went to sleep, it was gone. You had to do a restart to get it back, losing any unsaved data, etc
- Time/clock was wrong until Windows connected to net and updated it
- Just getting the old Boot Camp drivers was a huge trick, involving much Googling and wading through forums
“So, was the upgrade easy?” you ask.
Yes! Sooooo easy! Here’s how to upgrade an old installation of Vista/Boot Camp (if you’re doing a new installation, be sure to read their full installation guide…including updating your system through Software Update):
- Download the new version of Boot Camp here. It’s big (138M), but worth it!
- Unpack it and run the install to upgrade to the new version
- Run BootCamp Assistant
- DO NOT partition your drive (this instruction if for the Upgrade only)
- Burn the disc to get the new Drivers (it’s a menu selection…and the only one you’ll need to do)
- Exit Boot Camp
- Eject your disc
- Restart your Computer into Windows (holding option key, yada yada)
- Insert your new drivers disc
- Give it permissions to run and sit back
- When it’s done, you’ll restart your computer into Windows (option key at start-up, etc)…you should get Sound, etc.
Don’t be too worried just yet if your Wi-fi doesn’t come online right off. I had to click the pop-up in the system tray to Connect to Network. It worked fine after that. Sleep was fixed, sound is there. It’s all good…and quite easy!