Attention SAP Accountants! There is one thing that SAP does not do very well – maybe you can think of more than one 😉 . But if you’ve spent any time trying to manually enter a long Journal Entry in FB50 or F-02 (etc), you know that SAP is woefully lacking in the ability to upload entries. UPDATE: This post is about ZOption’s excel upload solution. If you want to roll your own, I discuss our experience with the BAPI here.
After about 3 years of struggling along with a home-grown upload program, we took the 30-day trial with ZOption’s GLSU (General Ledger Spreadsheet Uploader), and we were sold. The implementation is about 3 hours (plus or minus). Very easy to get up and running.
Features of GLSU
- Allows you to create custom spreadsheet formats for uploading journal entries
- Will pre-validate master date (including materials, customers/vendors, etc) before attempting to upload your journal entry
- All field status group settings are respected
- Breaks entries up to accomodate the 999 line item limit for journal entries
- Profitability segments are derived, using any fields you include
- All fields available to FB50/F-02 can be used
- Excellent customer support – very responsive and knowledgable
- *** Pricing is reasonable ***
Once you’ve completed the install, you will end up with a new T-code in SAP, but no major deal. Additionally, your users will need to have rights to login through the SAP Login pad.
Our Lessons Learned
Going through our installation, here’s what we learned:
- Users will need to have rights to login through SAP Logon Pad (not just Portal logins)
- Will need to work out some macros to determine your posting keys (40 & 50 for debits and credits, etc for other types of postings)
- Makes it easy to centralize the uploading of large entries or corrections
- We haven’t really found any “cons” about the product (other than the posting key for debits and credits…but they didn’t claim it could read our minds)
Some other alternatives to investigate include:
- WinShuttle – Integrates Excel with SAP for various dataload and transactional inputs. Product is TxShuttle. [Updated]
- Gesix – Integrates Excel and Access with SAP
We did not evaluate these tools, so I can’t really give the pro’s and con’s.
Hope this helps…the ROI is definitely there if you’re looking at building something from in-house.